A long time ago, a lot of goods had been sent into Osaka from Hiroshima which was the main distribution hub in the Setouchi region. Among those, the Hiroshima’s laver was well known for its high quality in a historic fishing ground following Edo.
Yoshihito Mimura, who was the founder of Mikuniya, was born into Masutarou Mimura who owned one of the local’s foremost fishing industries in such city of Hiroshima. He had established NORI seaweed processing company in Asahi town with a strong relationship with laver as well as passion.
After the World War Ⅱ
Hiroshima’s NORI seaweed fishing ground which had been in business since the Edo period disappeared due to the land reclamation, but the vitality and the attachment to laver are alive even now in Mikuniya.
In the mid-Edo period, the Mimura family started business as a nori (seaweed) farmer.
In 1918, Masutaro Mimura established Toyo Suisan Kaisha, Ltd. to receive seaweed and marine products.
Ltd. was established in 1926 as a result of the establishment of market regulations by Hiroshima Prefecture.
Ltd. and Toyo Suisan Kaisha, Ltd. ceased to exist. Ltd. ceased to exist and concentrated on seaweed cultivation.
1948 Yoshito Mimura became the first president and founded Geishu Mikuniya, a seaweed processing company.
Headquarters and factory completed in Asahi-machi.
1959 Establishment of Mikuniya Co.
1977 Head office moved to Shoko Center, Nishi-ku
1981 Higashiki Mimura became the second president.
1982 New factory completed in Togawachi-cho (now Akiota-cho)
1983 Closed Asahimachi factory and continued as Asahimachi main store.
1997 Released additive-free flavored seaweed.
2001 Yokohama store opened.
2003 Opening of the Kamiyacho store.
Obtained Hiroshima Prefecture voluntary food hygiene management certification in 2008.